Since 1967, we have been helping our customers protect their classics with affordable, industry-leading insurance coverage. We know that preparing for an approaching storm can be stressful, and we want to remind you of some steps you can take if your vehicle is damaged or exposed to flooding.
Don’t wait for the adjuster to arrive. In a catastrophe, it may be days until an adjuster arrives due to the concentrated work load in the affected areas. By taking the following 10 steps, you will in no way jeopardize your claim, and you will set the stage for a better outcome once the claim is established.
1. Mechanical systems and the interior can be dried out and cleaned.
2. Take pictures to establish visual damage and the high water mark.
3. Disconnect the battery.
4. If the waterline is above the dashboard the car could be totaled. However,
there is still significant value as many collector cars were restored from much
worse condition. You will still want to.
5. Establish a high-water mark. Look for water inside the doors and the taillights,
and dampness in the carpets and interior trim. This will allow you to focus on
cleaning areas that are most critical.
6. Mold and corrosion can start within 24-48 hours. Clean out the interior as
best you can using towels to absorb water. Keep the doors open, use a
shop vac to pull out the water and then use fans to help dry.
7. Even if you’re tempted, don’t try to start the car. If there’s water in the
engine, transmission or fuel system, you’ll just compound the damage.
8. Check the dipsticks for the engine and transmission. If water is present you
change the oil and filter.
9. Electrical systems on new cars are complex. However on classic cars this is
not typically the case and can be cleaned as well. If you are able, dry off
any connections you have access to.
10. Siphon the fuel out into a container and look for water. If water is present
you may need to have it cleaned professionally.
Remember, these suggestions are just the basics and are designed to keep the most parts of your collector car protected from the most serious damage in the initial hours after a flood. They also set the stage for a successful clean up by professionals.